Monday, August 16, 2010

Bali and other loose ends



I had a busy few days during the end of my time in Indonesia. I was rushing to finish some materials detailing CPT and the contents of my summer work. In addition, I tried to see all my new friends before I left. It was hard to say goodbye. I'll miss all the kind people that made my time in Indonesia so memorable. The guys at #5 threw me a great bbq and kindly declined to give me a birthday surprise. (thanks guys). Daniela also arrived in Bogor for a day before we took off to Bali. I gave her a quick tour, going to the office, botanical gardens and the outlets. I also achieved my goal of not getting sick before bali.
Botanical garden orchid.

I then packed up and hopped on the short flight to Bali. Fortunately I bought the baggage upgrade for a couple bucks as I only had a couple kg to spare at the 30kg level. When we landed there was a driver waiting for us to take us to Sanur. Sanur is a quieter area of Bali with more family and retiree activities than the rest of the island. The beach was ok, nothing to impressive but we were really just staying there to catch the morning boat off the beach to Nusa Lembongan.

Beach at Sanur

Our hotel was also pretty sweet. It had hindu shrines and nice gardens as well as a bar and a pool. (what else do you need). The doorway was also like stepping through a window as there was a double door. You had to step up through the door and it was ornately decorated. I don't have a good picture of this or the hindu shrines but rest assured that I have later example pictures.

In the morning we hopped on the fast boat to lembongan.
That is the dark sand of Sanur beach in the background. We could have taken the crowded public boat that takes 90 min to get to the island but that's not how I was rolling in Bali after eating meals for 60 cents for 2 months.

Upon arriving at Mushroom Bay in Nusa Lembongan, we checked into our hut. The bay is perfect, with green water, coral break and a cliff lined white sand beach. Its also utterly uncrowded as we were usually one of about 15 people on the beach. Our hut was on the beach with a nice ocean view and a private patio.
Notice the shrine in the corner.
We then sat down at the restaurant next to our hut to eat some lunch. This was the table we usually ate at for breakfast and lunch. The beach is a working beach, so up until midday the bay is somewhat busy with fishing boats and transport boats. Later in the afternoon it quiets down.
For the rest of the afternoon, we walked the beach. The beach is full or colorful corals from the break offshore, however, they are not sharp by the time they wash up.
I'm going to cut this here since I'm in class, but the rest of the trip is coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment